We all know that as Mums we are expected to be there for everyone in our lives 24/7. We cook, clean, shop, look after the kids, organise the family, manage the finances…..really I could go on for hours. This leaves precious little time to concentrate on our own health and wellbeing, and it’s no wonder we get so rundown and our health begins to suffer. I have experienced this myself recently, and it took a couple of trips to the GP and naturopath to discover my body was simply giving up because it was on stress and adrenaline overdrive. The treatment…….relax and have some “me time”!! This is easier said than done when you have everyone around you relying on you.
So that you CAN be at your best when you need to be, it’s essential to take some time to relax. Here’s a few easy techniques you can do which won’t cost the earth.
• Adopt a Hobby – This can be anything from craft to painting to writing…..use your imagination! Lose yourself in what you enjoy doing most!
• Read a good book – If you have a spare half hour or so while the baby is asleep or the kids are outside playing, put the vacuum cleaner down and curl up on the lounge with your favourite novel.
• Play some relaxing music – You don’t always have to have the Top 40 pumping away on your stereo. Put on some calming classical music or some ambience music. The kids will find it calming too!
• Ring someone – If you just need to vent, instead of getting on Facebook and telling the world how angry you are on your status, pick the phone up and ring your mum or best friend and have a good chat. Works wonders! Try not to do it when the kids are around though as that does put the stress levels up!
• Laugh – There’s nothing like a good session of giggles. Watch a funny movie or have a fun game of tickles with the kids. Laughing is one of the best stress relievers around!
• Cooking – Many of you find that cooking helps to relieve your stress. Lose yourself in an afternoon of baking cakes, scones, whatever takes your fancy. The best thing is, you get to eat it afterwards!
• Pamper yourself – Find a babysitter for the kids for an afternoon, and settle in for some ultimate “me time”. Have a long hot bubble bath (with or without a glass of wine!), colour your hair, give yourself a facial, manicure, pedicure, and b-r-e-a-t-h-e.
• Essential Oils – I love essential oils in an oil burner. Not only does your house smell divine, but many essential oils have great stress relieving properties. Try some lavender, bergamot, neroli, rose or ylang ylang. Just remember that pregnant women should not use essential oils unless you seek medical advice. Consult a qualified aromatherapist or naturopath for more information on how to use oils effectively and safely.
• Do absolutely nothing! – Just sit in a room with nothing but the sound of your breathing and the noises outside. Meditate if you know how to, and if you don’t know how to, it is easy to learn. Daydream.
It’s really easy to find ways to relax, but only you can make the time and effort to do so. It’s really worth it if you can find some snippets of time here and there to devote to yourself. It’s not only worth it for your own wellbeing, but your family and friends will appreciate a less stressed and happier you, too!
Let us know what you do to relax!