Ask SAHM is a place where you can ask our staff & community a question safely & anonymously. Please read our disclaimer.

My husband is toxic.

We have two small children. He’s always in a bad mood, constantly yelling at them, he drinks every single damn night. I’m just so over it. I feel like he’s creating a toxic environment for my children. I feel like I’m stuck. I have no money to leave. I honestly don’t even want to be around him anymore. It’s depressing. I don’t know what to do.


Got an Answer?

Answers (6)

Bet he’s an angel around other people
My Ex MIL was in denial about her only child being abusive
I recorded a video and she said what did you do to make him hit you ?
Found out she was in a DV marriage

 Yes my husband does this too
helpful (0) 
 Yes completely! His mother visits and he's there washing dishes, running the bath for the kids... things that he hasn't done since her last visit 6 months ago
helpful (0) 

I'm in a similar situation, just without the drinking. Constant yelling, perpetually in a bad mood, grumpy, everything bothers him, lazy slob just creates more work for me and won't lift a finger to do anything round the house, I'm constantly pushed around and spoken down to. And I have no money to leave. I don't have family or many friends around that I could go to and everyone thinks he's such a great guy coz he acts so nice in front of everyone else no one would even beleive what he's like behind closed doors.
We tried counselling 2 years ago but he decided the counselor was an idiot and was wasting his time so he refuses to go anymore.
I honestly dread him coming home after work each night, it's so peacefully when he's not around.
I don't know what to do either but I wish I could give you a hug xxx

 Could you possibly open up to your gp and go get counselling under the guise of the mental health plan? I think in these situaitons it a good opportunity to go for yourself, gaining strength so you get a better idea of what you can do even if it is just to build yourself up.
helpful (1) 
 I have no one to look after the kids for me to be able to go to counselling.
helpful (0) 
 Take them with you ? Give them an iPad, phone or something with headphones?
helpful (0) 
 My youngest is 11 months old and won't sit still and not interested in screens... But I dont have an iPad anyway, husband controls the money and says we cant afford one yet he can afford $70 brand name socks
helpful (0) 

Secretly Record him

 I did this - to play it back to him - to show him how his behaviour impacted us - to show him how angry and awful he sounded - not to share it. Unfortunately, our marriage ended. He still thinks our marriage ‘wasn’t that bad’ - but it was bad!! - I’m still working on my self esteem three years post separation...

helpful (0) 
 I tried this and he broke my phone throwing it across the room
helpful (0) 

Common situation, they never yell at you in front of friends. My marriage ended after 25 yrs, I kept thinking it would get better, they don’t change and it pulls you down - I never had a positive comment from him! Get mental health plan from GP as suggested above, get counselling for yourself And build up your strength and resolve. I took my kids with me!
Yes your own bank account! I’ve been separated over 3 years and the weight off your shoulders is amazing- I use to dread him coming home, and it was hard being positive around the kids. Now I can be myself!

 Problem is they are mandatory reporters and make reports to child safety. Then that can jeopardise children’s safety.
helpful (0) 
 I would never tell my GP anything for this reason.
helpful (0) 

I feel for you - I’ve been there and eventually left the relationship when I couldn’t bear him anymore and knew that things wouldn’t change - and I realised he was also unhappy because why would a happy person yell at their children and drink to excess? (tried counselling and anger management techniques but he would revert back)

I’m assuming you’ve thought of counselling first - only if you want to try it or suggest it to him?

Definitely organise your own bank account then contact Centrelink and apply for assistance.

Do you have family/friends you could stay with in the meantime?

Me too I’ve made an exit plan and will be leaving soon I have had enough

 Xx I wouldn’t even know where to start
helpful (0) 
 It isn’t easy I didn’t know where to start either. The first step is deciding, then hide money, see what you can sell, get a new bank account etc that’s what I did to start :)
helpful (1)