Ask SAHM is a place where you can ask our staff & community a question safely & anonymously. Please read our disclaimer.

I got over paid for family tax benefit, Im not getting a tax refund this year but my husband is. Will they keep his refund to my pay my centrelink debt?


Got an Answer?

Answers (4)

If he agrees to his return being used to pay for his partners centrelink debt, yes.
My partner and I always get asked if returns can be used to pay the other ones debt if there is one when we do tax

No. Centrelink took mine this year but couldn't touch my husband's after claiming I owed them 5k.
Of course, they then had to return it plus the money they owed me because they screwed up BIG time. So make sure you owe it first.