Healthy Hair Treatments at Home
Does your hair need some TLC but you can’t afford a trip to the hairdresser or to buy expensive treatments? Here are some Healthy Hair Treatments at Home you can try for a fraction of the cost!
Hair Masks for Moisture:
- A mixture of mashed banana and honey applied as a treatment to the hair for 20 minutes brings back shine and makes your hair smell amazing!
- Some extra virgin olive oil run through the lengths of long tresses and left overnight (make sure you protect your pillowcase) is inexpensive and a really great hair treatment.
- Comb your normal conditioner through your hair and wrap it up in a nice warm towel and wait an hour – gives your hair a thorough deep conditioning treatment.
- Eggs are terrific for your hair! Beat together three egg yolks, and evenly spread it through your hair. Wrap in a towel and allow to sit for 30 minutes, wash out well!
Treatment for Dandruff or Winter ‘Itchies”:
- If you get the ‘winter itchies’ in your scalp, use Apple Cider Vinegar instead of conditioner – it will make your hair gleam and get rid of the itch. Just don’t get it in your eyes – it really stings!
- For dulled hair (from overuse of hair products) Massage 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt into damp hair and let sit for 20 minutes. Alternatively you can mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of bicarb soda with small amounts of water until a thick paste forms. Massage into damp hair and let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water, then cool water and shampoo your hair as normal. Treatment can be applied every two to three weeks.
- Grab the coconut oil from the kitchen. This stuff is unbelievable. Not only is it great for a intensive moisture mask, but a tiny bit run through your hair’s ends are great for frizzies. It also is good on your face as a mask – and rub a little on a blemish – make sit heal so much quicker!
Problem Hair Solutions:
- Mash half an avocado and massage it into damp hair. Leave it to sit for about 15 minutes then rinse with warm water. To add even more moisture mix the mashed avocado with 1 to 2 tablespoons of sour cream, egg yolks or mayonnaise. This is particularly good for dry, frizzy hair!
- If your hair is fine and limp, you can add body to it with beer! (Yes, beer!) Mix 1/2 cup flat beer with 1 teaspoon light oil (sunflower or canola) and a raw egg. Apply to clean, damp hair and leave it in for about for 15 minutes. Rinse with cool water and shampoo. You can also try putting flat beer into a spray bottle and spritz onto dry hair (but you might end up smelling like a brewery!)
- For oily/greasy hair, pour a tablespoon of cornflour into an empty salt or pepper shaker and sprinkle it onto dry hair and scalp until it’s used up. Wait for 10 minutes then use a hairbrush to completely brush it out. You can do this every few days.