List of Best Pea Proteins You Can Buy Online
There are so many options for protein supplements, and pea protein (and no not “Pee” protein”) is another emerging product. Pea Protein has a range of health benefits, helps control appetite and is full of amino acids.
It can be overwhelming trying to buy an organic pea protein powder that actually tastes good. and will help improve your nutrition and help with muscle recovery So, we have compiled a list of the best-tasting pea protein products!
Before you have a look at what pea protein products are available, what is actually in pea protein?
What is Pea Protein Actually Made From?
Pea Protein is actually made from yellow peas, not green ones like we have here in Australia.
It’s known as a highly concentrated protein source that’s easy to digest, contains iron, amino acids and l-arginine. In fact, Pea Protein has enough amino acids to cover 95% of what is the recommended amount of amino acids in an adult. With all that goodness, it is known to help improve muscle growth, feeling of fullness and improve overall heart health. The best known yellow pea crops are grown in European counties like France and Belgium. During the manufacturing process of Pea Protein, most carbohydrates removed, so the fewer carbs, the better! Pea Protein is an excellent protein alternative for vegans, it’s also gluten-free, dairy-free and hypoallergenic.
Why Pea Protein is Superior to Soy Protein:
So, Soy Protein is sourced from the soybean plant. It’s become quite popular, its included in baby formula, supplements and even vegan burger patties. Like Pea Protein, Soy Protein does contain the complete package of amino acids, however, these are of a small amount compared to pea protein. Pea Protein also contains fibre, whereas Soy Protein doesn’t. There is a risk for individuals with a soy allergy, that they will have a reaction with soy protein, where pea protein is naturally inflammatory and hypo-allergenic.
There is no denying that either pea or soy protein, they are both beneficial. It’s up to you, and what suits you and your overall health.
Pea Protein is a great alternative for people wanting to lose weight, but increase muscle strength at the same time but not necessarily “bulk up”
What to look for in a good quality Pea Protein?
- A good tip is always to look at where the pea protein is sourced. If it’s sourced in certain areas of Europe, you can know that you are getting some of the best quality yellow peas available in the world.
- Check the ingredients listing on the product. Especially if you are in search of vegan approved pea proteins, it’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Check the ingredients for the number of pea protein grams per serve – the higher the number the more protein you are ingesting!
- It’s not always a bad thing if its a combo protein! If the pea protein is combined with brown rice, for example, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Of course 100% pea protein is best (see number 4 on our list below). The combination of brown rice and pea protein creative a pretty effective and powerful protein powder! It’s always good to do some research on it too!
- A good pea protein also contains essential amino acids. As pea protein on its own doesn’t contain all the amino acids the body requires – the addition makes the shakes higher quality.
- The higher-quality pea proteins contain fewer fillers and more nutrients.
The Negatives of Pea Protein:
Pea protein is made of – well, peas. And peas are notorious for causing bloating and disgusting farts. Really disgusting farts! Many of the following brands have ingredients that can counteract this uncomfortable side effect.
Plus pea protein on its own is not ‘complete’ when it comes to the body’s requirements for amino acids. So when looking for a shake that is complete – look for ones with the addition of amino acids.
What are the BEST Pea Proteins?
In our opinion – these are the best in terms of quality, price and taste.
The Tropeaka Lean Protein is a great, healthy budget-friendly pea protein alternative! This pea protein is super delicious with 3 different flavours including salted caramel! Yum! They have a 5-star health rating (Australian Government Initiative). Tropeaka created a pea protein powder that encourages non-bloating, by ensuring the protein has certain enzymes to encourage digestion.
- Sizes: 500g & 1kg
- Cost per serve: $2.60 per serve (less than a coffee!)
- Flavours: Vanilla, Chocolate & Salted Caramel
- Certified Organic
- Contains 16.6 grams of pea protein per serve
Retailer: View Retailer >
Vital Protein’s Pea Proteins are an Australia manufactured pea protein range. They pride themselves on have easily digestible protein powders that are high in protein and low in carbs! These powders are at a really reasonable price with only costing $1.80 per serve – bargain! This brand has a great range of additional amino acids too!
- Size: 1kg
- Cost Per Serve: $1.40
- Flavours: Vanilla, Chocolate & Original
- Gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free and soy-free
- 20 grams of protein per serve
Retailer: View Retailer >
The True Protein Vegan 85 protein blend by True Vegan is one of the best value for money protein powders available, only costing $2.06 per serving! It’s vegan friendly as well as dairy and gluten-free. True Vegan source their pea protein from Belgium, one of the best areas to grow the yellow peas, so you know you are getting some of the best quality protein sources out there. Each serving contains 24 grams of protein per serve. 85 Protein Blend has a variety of flavours, with a 4.8-star rating review by customers, surely that’s a good sign right?
This is perhaps the highest quality pea protein available in our findings.
- Size: 1kg (33 serves)
- Cost per serve: $2.06
- Flavours: French Vanilla, Mocha, Natural, Rich Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Raw Coconut
- 24 grams of protein per serve
- Only 0.6 grams of carbs per serve
Retailer: View Retailer >
The MyVegan (by MyProtein) Pea Protein is a great alternative source of protein if having a plant-based diet is important to you. The unflavoured is a pure 100% Pea Protein Isolate, with the flavoured dropping to >90% with flavoured additions. With an amazing combination of protein sources, it will help you feel energised while keeping active. Every ingredient is vegan friendly and they offer yummy flavours! Each serving contains 23 grams of protein!
- Size: 1kg & 2.5kg
- Cost per serve: $0.80 (33 serves, 1KG unflavoured) – $0.50 (88 serves, 2.5kg unflavoured)
- Flavours: Unflavoured, Strawberry, Chocolate, Coffee & Walnut
Retailer: View Retailer >
Bare Blend Proteins are an organic Australian based company that produce a yellow pea and brown rice protein powders. They have really decadent flavours like cocoa & cinnamon and vanilla & coconut! Their protein powders contain 20.5 grams of protein per serving, perfect for post-workout or even adding it to a smoothie. If you love the taste of their products, you can even order them in bulk, saving yourself $60!
- Size: 500 grams, 1 kg and 6 x 1kg
- Cost per serve: $2.80
- Flavours: Cacao & Cinnamon, Vanilla & Coconut and Bare
- 20.5 grams of organic pea protein per serve
6. Protein Supplies Pea Pro
If you are wanting a variety of flavours and not just the same old vanilla and chocolate, Protein Supplies Pea Pro is the product for you! Their vegan, low carb and dairy-free with 23 grams of protein per serving. They have over 4 different flavours and you can purchase each in individual serving sizes, great for when you are on the go or just wanting to try out different flavours. Protein Supplies source all of their pea protein from the US, Canada and Mongolia where it is then manufactured in Brisbane, Australia. It is a great, raw and complete pea protein option with plenty of flavours to choose from!
- Size: 30 grams, 500 grams, 1 kg and 3kg
- Cost Per Serve: $2.20
- Flavours: Pure, Vanilla, Chocolate, Honeycomb and Choc Mint
We hope you enjoyed our list of Best Pea Proteins You Can Buy Online. Enjoy 🙂
- Pea Protein