Paid Streaming Servies:
Netflix is a major player in the online video streaming sphere. In fact, it has set the pace and its competitors in Australia always focus on how to outdo it. One of the reasons that make Netflix outshine other service providers is accessibility. Its app is almost on every device.
Netflix’s database is mainly made up of international blockbusters such as Narcos, Stranger Things and House of Cards.
The standard charge for Netflix is $9.99 per month. However, it comes in three price categories though the content is the same
across all the tiers. The difference in payment plans will only affect streaming quality and number of devices to be used. In the $9.99 payment plan, you will get a standard definition streaming that will be limited to one device at a time. For $13.99 per month, you will enjoy high definition on two devices simultaneously. The highest tier is $17.99, and you will get one 4K stream on four devices at once. New Netflix subscribers can always take advantage of the 30-day free trial.
- Has a large library hence you will never lack what to watch.
- High-quality original content
- Works on almost all video-enabled devices
- The TV library of the service is mainly dominated by the brand’s original content.
- Its streamable movies are quite old.
Stan is an Australian video streaming service that is partly owned by the Fairfax and Channel 9. Given that it is a local-based
product, it is rich in Australian content. Stan has also entered into major partnerships with international content providers with the goals of enriching its database.
The cost of using Stan starts from $10 per month and is available in three different categories. However, consumers in all the
categories stream the same content. The payment only determines the quality of videos that you will watch and the number of devices that you can use when in offline mode or do a simultaneous streaming.
Initially, you were required to pay $10 per month for high definition streaming. The cost was raised to $12 per month and it comes with better streaming quality. It also allows offline viewing for up to three devices, unlike the $10 package whose streaming is limited to one device. The $15 per month assures you of simultaneous 4K streaming on four devices and offline streaming for up to
five devices. New subscribers can enjoy a free 30-day trial.
Stan can be streamed on Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, PC browsers, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Chromecast, Telstra TV and some smart TVs.
- It has a consumer-friendly pricing structure.
- It allows users to download the content on their respective devices then watch later when offline.
- The streaming service is rich in content and has given special attention to home-based content.
- Stan does not support HDR (high dynamic range) type of content.
- When your online viewing expires, you have to redownload the video content.
It is run by the giant online retailer Amazon and has made its way to Australia, and is now competing with other huge streaming services such as Netflix and Stan.
You will pay US$2.99 to subscribe for the first six months. You can start with a free 30-day trial.
- It is available on iOS, Android and smart TVs.
- It has exclusive shows and content.
- It has an X-Ray feature which gives out information about the actors you’re watching.
- Fast and reliable streaming across different devices.
- It also offers downloads for offline viewing.
- There are no apps for Apple TV or Android TV.
- Its content library is lesser compared to Netflix.
- Browsing is quite frustrating too with its cluttered content.
In Australia, Foxtel is usually viewed as an alternative to Netflix. It started as a live TV service provider before branching out as TV shows and movie streaming service provider. You can access different content on the platform regardless of the amount that you are paying for. The content will depend on the channels that you are subscribing to.
After creating an account in Foxtel, you will be required to build a package that will be based on the subscribed channel packs.
The payment plan may range between $10 per month up to $104 per month. Except for movies and sports, all other packages can be bought as separate products. For instance, the drama package comes with epic series such as Game of Thrones, and you will pay $15. New Foxtel subscribers can test the service with a 14-day free trial.
The service is available on Android, iOS, PS3, PS4, PC browsers, Mac, Telstra TV, Chromecast and Xbox One, although it won’t play in high definition.
- You can stream live sports.
- You can also access the HBO library where you can watch some of the latest series.
- The library is updated with the latest movies.
- The service is quite expensive than its rivals.
- The content cannot be downloaded for offline viewing.
- There is no 4K and 1080p content.