Are You Eligible For Centrelink Family Support Payments? (Page 3)You Might Be Surprised!


Stillborn Baby Payment

In the heartbreaking event that you have a stillborn baby, you may still be entitled to a payment to help alleviate the pressure of worrying about income during such a sad and traumatic time.pexels-photo-248016

You may be able to receive this payment if:

  • you recently had a baby who was stillborn
  • you or your partner would have been the baby’s main carer
  • you and your partner:
    • earn below the limit in the income test, or
    • pass the Family Tax Benefit Part A eligibility test
  • you don’t receive parental leave pay for the same baby
  • you meet the residence rules about living in Australia

(Your family may be able to receive this payment and Dad and Partner Pay for the same baby.)

A stillborn baby is one who:

  • has not breathed since delivery, and
  • has no heartbeat after their birth, and
  • weighs at least 400 grams at their birth or had a gestation period of at least 20 weeks

You don’t need to register the baby’s birth with the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry.

Double Orphan Pension

To receive Double Orphan Pension you must care for the child at least 35% of the time because:

  • both parents are deceased
  • one parent is deceased and the other parent is imprisoned for at least 10 years, in a psychiatric institution or nursing home for an indefinite period, their whereabouts are unknown, or
  • the child is a refugee and both parents are outside of Australia or their whereabouts are unknown

Other Payments

Healthcare Cards, Rent Assistance and Phone Assistance payments can all be of great help when you’re raising children, especially on a tight budget. If you’re not sure of what you might be eligible for you can use Centrelink’s payment finder service (click here!) or just apply for everything you can, who knows what you might miss out on otherwise!


Immusitaion Requirements

To get Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A supplement and Child Care Benefit your child must meet immunisation requirements. So you need to:

Do I Need To Lodge A Tax Return?

If you are not working, but receiving payments or are working but receive less than the tax free threshold (The tax-free threshold is the first $18,200 of your income and you can earn up to $20,542 before any income tax is payable, when taking into account the Low Income Tax Offset) you won’t need to lodge a tax return, however you still need to notify Centrelink of your exclusion from doing so. Remember that if you received Paid Parental Leave you’ll need to count that as income!

I found it was so much easier just to lodge a return, especially as you can also link ATO (Australian Taxation Office) to your MyGov account. They are automatically aware of your Centrelink payments, any work income (declared by your employer only, if you are declaring your own income you need to list it on your tax return) and any interest earned on your savings. It means once you lodge any returns required by husbands or partners, because you have done one also, your end of financial year supplement payments (held for the duration to ensure we don’t underestimate income too much) can be released immediately by Centrelink. Gotta love a July cash bonus in the bank!

Do you think you may be eligible for some of these?


Related Articles

Here’s What You Need To Know About Meningococcal Disease

Spread the word.

Getting a Dental Crown? Here’s What You Can Expect

All-Natural DIY Body Scrubs

Don’t Buy Them, Make Them Yourself At Home!