4. Uzbekistan Mum Fights Back at Rich Couple After Alleged Fake Open Adoption Agreement over Son
A mum is fighting for her rights to her child after claiming that a rich couple tricked her into signing an open adoption agreement for her then six-year-old son.
Nina Yusupov, 32, a migrant from Uzbekistan, says she decided to sign an open adoption agreement with couple David and Jennifer Bergenfeld for her son, Eliyahu, after she was left penniless in 2008 after divorcing her abusive husband. He met the couple through a big brother/big sister program she contacted for support.
The couple are both high-powered lawyers with no children of their own. They began taking Eli home to their luxury Upper East Side apartment on weekends and quickly won over the boy. They gave Ms Yusupov an offer to adopt Eli while allowing her to remain in his life. In the agreement, Ms Yusupov was guaranteed bi-monthly visitation, regular phone calls and the exchange of letters and photos. However, the couple enforced strict ground rules. “I couldn’t touch him. I couldn’t hold him. I couldn’t be near him,” Ms Yusukov told the Manhattan Surrogate’s Court.
In March 2012, a spat broke out between Mrs Bergenfled and Ms Yusupov after they crossed paths inside the Children’s Museum gift shop, which led the couple to secure a protection order barring Ms Yusupov from going anywhere near Eli. Then, Ms Yusupov discovered that the open adoption agreement offered her no protection because the Bergenfelds had never filed it with the court.
In the documents tendered to court, Ms Yusupov said: “The Bergenfelds convinced me with false promises, making me believe that they were my family and my friends at a most vulnerable time in my life.” Last week, Judge Rita Mella also ruled that a court-appointed psychiatrist need not file an evaluation of her now teenage son until January. “It means another six months, more than that, until I can see him again,” Ms Yusupov told The Daily News outside court. However, Ms Yusupov is decided on fighting on with the support of her fiancee who she recently became engaged with.
3. Teenager Accused of Assaulting Three-Month-Old Girl Denied Bail
A teenager accused of assaulting a three-month-old girl, was denied bail.
The Youth Court said that the 17-year-old boy may pose a “high risk of committing further crimes, including violent offences, if released.” The teenager appeared in the Youth Court on Monday seeking bail on charges of aggravated assault, causing serious harm to a child and criminal neglect. He was arrested last month after bashing a baby, causing serious head and rib injuries. The baby was immediately rushed to Murray Bridge Medical Clinic then transferred to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
The counsel for the teenager asked the court for the boy’s release into the care of his “supportive” father under home detention conditions, citing an “extensive” psychological report that confirms that their client had “personal issues”, including substance abuse problems, that could be managed on bail. However, prosecutors disapproved of the release, saying the report said that the boy was “confronting, defiant and challenging”, and that he was a heavy user of cannabis and had allegedly committed the offence while on bail for assault charges.
Magistrate Sue O’Connor remanded the teenage boy in custody to face court again next month.
2. Photo of Mum with C-Section Wound After Giving Birth to Baby Goes Viral
A photo of a mum, showing her wound due to a caesarean section, and her three-day-old baby has gone viral over social media, getting mixed reactions from people.
This photo was taken by photographer mum-of-two Helen Aller, 29, who is eight months pregnant. She said that the mum, who wants to remain anonymous, contacted her to take a photo of her and her baby as a remembrance of the wound that saved her and her baby’s lives.
“I photographed this mama’s pregnancy a couple of weeks back and she was telling me how terrified she was of having a c-section. Over the weekend, she went into labour but had to have an emergency c-section after losing a lot of blood. She asked me to come over this morning and shoot this particular image as her worst nightmare proved to be what saved her and her son’s lives,” she said.
The photo was uploaded on Facebook and was viewed at least 11.5 million times, shared over 56,000 times, and liked by almost 200,000, but still earned the ire of some who found the photo “disgusting,” “offensive,” and “sexually explicit.” However, some mothers found the image insipirational, calling it “beautiful” and that one wrote: “I’m not a huge fan of having a scar across my lower abdomen, but I’ve learned to embrace it because that is where my babies came from.”
1. Court Denies Couple Access to IVF For Child Welfare Concerns
A couple was denied access to In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) after a court found that the mother has a history of abuse and family violence, including losing a baby to sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) five years ago.
The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, led by Judge Pamela Jenkins, said that the mother, known only as TRV, had past experiences of emotional abuse, medical and environmental neglect and exposure to family violence, and that “she lacked insight into her children’s experiences.” The court also found that child protection officials had previously removed four children under TRV’s custody, which resulted to a “presumption against treatment”.
TRV, 45, and her partner of five years, known only as TPW, a fulltime security guard, plans to marry in December. They both have 10 children, aged 15 to 36, from previous relationships. TRV will turn 46 in September, after which she will not be legible for reproductive assistance. “At this point in time there is a real risk of harm (physical, emotional, sexual and developmental wellbeing), to a child to be born and that overall, the welfare and interests of a child born to the couple may not be protected,” a psychologist’s report to the tribunal said.