NEWS NEWS NEWS WRAP...

8 Interesting Parenting News Stories You Missed Today

10 min read
8 Interesting Parenting News Stories You Missed Today

4. Man who risked life to save two children trapped in fire considers act not heroic but just pure instict

Parenting News Stories | Stay at Home Mum
Taryn Burgess, wife of Mark Burgess who risked life to save two children from fire, is proud of her husband’s heroic act. (ABC News: Jonathan Hair) via abc.net.au

The wife of Mark Burgess, the neighbour who risked his life to save two children from fire, has never been prouder of her husband.

In Beaconsfield in Mackay’s northern suburbs, when a house was being engulfed in fire, Mr Burgess put his life at risk to save two of the family’s children. A woman and four young children managed to escape the blaze, but a six-year-old girl and 11-year old boy, remain trapped in a bedroom. In an instant, Mr Burgess broke through a window to rescue the children.

After his and the kids’ near death experience, Mr Burgess still doesn’t consider himself a hero.

“I didn’t think twice about helping. You have no option. They have no option. You just have to get in and help them. I don’t feel like a hero. I did what had to be done at the time. I was the right person there at the right time,” he said.

Mr Burgess and the two children were taken to Mackay hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation.

Acting Senior Sergeant Anthony Cowan lauded Mr Burgess’ heroic act, saying he “without a doubt” put himself in danger. He will be putting recommendations through the police service for Mr Burgess to be recognised for his deed.

Source: Abc.net.au

3. Father of missing toddler admits putting his baby daughter in a garbage bin

Parenting News Stories | Stay at Home Mum
Nearly two months since last seen alive, three-month-old Janna Rivera was put in a garbage bin. via news.com.au

The search for a baby girl’s body which went missing for nearly two months still continues. However, the harrowing reason for her disappearance was revealed. She was dumped by her father in a garbage bin.

Her father Jeff Fairbanks has come out in the open through Fox 59 to admit he threw the baby away after she died.

Three-months-old Janna Rivera was last seen alive on May 29. Mr Fairbanks has told investigators that Janna died in her sleep from SIDS. However, investigators told 6 ABC that they believe that Fairbanks rolled over on top of his sleeping baby girl and suffocated her to death.

“I wasn`t trying to get rid of my baby. My baby was already gone,” said Fairbanks, who has not been charged with a crime yet.

He said that on May 28, he noticed Janna not breathing next to him in bed. Panicked, he wrapped the dead baby in a blanket and ran out of the house. After driving around Indianapolis for eight hours feeling lost, he eventually came back to Maison Gardens Apartment Complex where he lived, found a dumpster and left the baby there.

Police have searched the dumpster, the landfill connected to that route and several nearby retention ponds everyday hoping to find baby Janna. Mr Fairbanks also told Fox 59 that he was glad with the police’s effort to find Janna and even asked the public to help find his daughter.

However, Mr Fairbanks’ wife is not happy — not just with the baby’s disappearance but for allegedly abusing her. She has filed a protective order against him with Marion County Sheriff’s Office, three days after their baby’s disappearance. The order stated that Mr Fairbanks’ abuse against her started two years ago and that he had a violent episode about every month.

“I believe he is a threat to my safety. I did not call the police in the past because of his threats. He always made me afraid. I need this order to protect myself and my children,” she wrote.

Source: News.com.au

2. Teen girl dies of accidental overdose on paracetamol to treat stomach ache

Parenting News Stories
Georgia Littlewood, 17, was rushed to the hospital for accidental overdose on paracetamol. She died two days later. (Picture: Facebook Source: Supplied) via news.com.au

They say too much of anything is bad. This includes a seemingly harmless drug used to treat fever and flu.

17-year-old Georgia Littlewood from the northern England town of Huddersfield died after accidentally overdosing on paracetamol tablets, taking three times the recommended dose to treat a stomach ache.

The Huddersfield Examiner reported that prior to the incident, Georgia already complained to her mum and boyfriend of an upset stomach.She was rushed to Huddersfield Royal Infirmary after she started vomiting and became delirious. Her condition worsened and she was transferred to an intensive care unit in nearby Leeds. However, two days later, she died of acute liver failure.

At her inquest in Huddersfield, the Littlewood family condemned the easy access to paracetamol, which can be bought over-the-counter in the UK. They insisted that paracetamol should only be bought from a pharmacist who knows the dangers of overdosing on it.

Mary Burke, the assistant coroner in the case, also warned of the dangers of paracetamol:

“It’s a readily available medication but can be extremely dangerous “” the dose limits are there for a reason and if one doesn’t comply with that there could be tragic consequences like this case.”

Source: Mobile.news.com.au

1. Newborn girl found murdered in Newcastle, NSW

Parenting News Stories | Stay At Home Mum
The quiet neighbourhood in Curry street in Wallsend, Newcastle was awoken by a news of a baby who was murdered earlier today. via dailytelegraph.com.au

A disturbing news woke a street in Wallsend earlier today as a newborn girl was found murdered at a home in Newcastle, NSW.

The Daily Telegraph reported that a woman called 000 at around 9am, informing officers of a dead baby in a home in Curry Street. The police then rushed to the scene and found that the six-week-old baby with her throat slit.They questioned the baby’s mother at the Waratah police station, who is expected to undergo a psychiatric assessment.

It was also said that the baby’s father was at home at the time of the alleged murder.

Source: DailyTelegraph.com.au

About Author

Sahm Community

Stories that have been written by mums, with a raw, honest, heartfelt sometimes tearful emotions put into words. Just so that we as a community know t...Read Morehat as mums you are not alone! Read Less

Ask a Question

Close sidebar