9 Interesting Parenting News Stories You Missed Over the Weekend

10 min read
9 Interesting Parenting News Stories You Missed Over the Weekend

Let’s catch up with the most amazing parenting news stories you missed over the weekend. Read touching stories of rescue to a story of a newborn baby tossed out of a window.

9. Two Little Girls Do The “Nae Nae” Dance in Wheelchairs

Nothing could stop these two little girls in wheelchair from dancing.

This video of bestfriends Brooklyn and Mayli Gibson, performing Silento’s hit, “Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)”, went viral after it was uploaded in Facebook. The video as been viewed at least 260,000 times and has been shared by over 6,300 viewers.

Both girls were born with Spina Bifida, a birth defect where there is incomplete closing of the backbone and membranes around the spinal cord. Mayli’s mum, Sami Gibson, told ABC News that both girls are soulmates. “God knows these two were meant to be friends. They’re six months apart, same last name, same diagnosis,” she said. Both girls are in a dance class for kids in wheelchairs, called Ayita, located in Benbrook, Texas. Ms Gibson said she wants Ayita to provide kids in wheelchairs with a safe space to dance where they won’t feel that they’re “different or stared at or questioned” from the rest of other kids.


8. Dad Gets Cochlear Implant Tattoo in Support of Hearing-impaired Daughter

Parenting News Stories | Stay at Home Mum

Getting a tattoo in support of a loved one has never gotten this sweet.

Dad Alistair Campbell has imprinted a cochlear implant tattoo on his shaved head in support of his hearing-impaired six-year-old daughter, Charlotte. His wife posted this photo on Facebook and has since gone viral.

Mr Campbell wanted to show his love for his daughter, who went shy after being fitted with the cochlear implants. He decided to shave his head to get the artwork done. He told Buzzfeed that they received mostly positive reactions from people. “Some negative comments have surfaced, they don’t bother me, we’re doing what is best for our daughter and our family,”

The New Zealand Herald reports that Charlotte was given her first implant two years ago after doctors discovered she was deaf in her left ear, while another implant was put in just recently.


7. Mum Sues Electricians For $2.3m After Her Fingers Were Amputated Due to Electric Shock

Parenting News Stories | Stay at Home Mum

A mum is taking legal actions against electricians for $2.3 million for being allegedly negligent that led to the amputation of her two fingers after an electric shock due to a live exposed cable wire in her home.

Mum-of-six Peita Osborne claimed she can no longer give the needed amount of care to her family especially her mentally and physically disabled son ­Michael, 14, who is dependent on his parents for his daily needs. The Supreme Court says Hedley Tripp Electrical of Bundaberg, which was hired to do electrical installation work at Mrs Osborne’s home in 2011, was allegedly negligent.

While doing home renovations from November 29, 2011, electricians were said to have ‘energised’ cables concealed behind a piece of furniture. On June 2, 2012, the furniture was moved so Mrs Osborne could paint and got electrocuted when she grasped with her right hand the cable with exposed wire ends. She suffered electrical burns to her right index and middle fingers, as well as her right thumb, and some nerve damage to the index and middle fingers, which were amputated in 2013.

Hedley Tripp Electrical is yet to respond to the claim.


6. Teenage Boy Rescued After Being Pinned Between Rocks Inside a Cave

Parenting News Stories | Stay at Home Mum

A 14-year-old boy was rescued after being pinned between two rocks inside a cave.

Mack Oswald was going on an adventure trip to Mount Pilot at Chiltern with his parents and a friend when he fell into a gap into a cave at about 3pm on Saturday.

Emergency services hurriedly went to the area to free the boy before sundown as temperature inside the cave continues to drop. Mack’s parents also helped by bringing him sandwiches and breaking a picninc bench to use it to release him. After three hours, Mack was freed with no injuries. As he walked out of the cave, Mack was greeted with applause and handshakes, before his mum, Sam Oswald, hugged him.

CFA incident controller Kurt Hickling advised people exploring unfamiliar territories to be careful. “People should always make sure they are carrying a mobile phone. When you’re in a situation where you’re bush walking or hiking or going to an unfamiliar area make sure you’re prepared. If the territory is foreign, it’s best to play it safe,” he said.


Continued on Page 2

About Author

Sahm Community

Stories that have been written by mums, with a raw, honest, heartfelt sometimes tearful emotions put into words. Just so that we as a community know t...Read Morehat as mums you are not alone! Read Less

Close sidebar