A couple whose two-year-old son died after being seen by five doctors in four days have revealed their devastation that their son “died a third-world death in a first-world country”.
Tim and Angela Black rushed their son, Lachlan to hospital after he came down with a fever and rash, something they thought would save their son’s life, but it ended in tragedy.
“We went to hospital three times and in addition to that, we saw two separate GPs as well,” mother Angela told 7 News. “Even more than that really, because there were multiple doctors involved in his care.”
The couple said their son died in the intensive care unit from streptococcal.
Now, they can only think about what could have happened if his bacterial infection had been treated with antibiotics sooner.
“He just got worse and worse and unfortunately no one seemed to clue it wasn’t a virus,” Tim said. “He just wasn’t given the care that he should have been given. Eventually the doctors came and told us he had died, and we spent that night holding him.”
Angela said Lachlan “died a third-world death in a first-world country”.
Now, the couple has shared their story to warn other parents to “trust your instincts” as a parent.
“If you are worried, just follow what your instincts tell you,” they said.
“Act soon and act first, worry about people’s opinions later; the other way the price is too high,” Tim warned.
The couple have also taken legal action against the hospital in what could have been a preventable death. “So we’ve argued at the coroner’s court that had antibiotics been given to Lachlan earlier in the day then he wouldn’t have died and his death was preventable,” their lawyer, Kathryn Booth said.
The couple are now waiting for the coroner to hand down her findings.