• News Wrap Up
  • Mum Warns About Dangers of Vacuum Cleaners After Her Toddler Son Suffered Burns

Mum Warns About Dangers of Vacuum Cleaners After Her Toddler Son Suffered Burns

A mother has warned other parents about the dangers of vacuum cleaners after her 16-month-old son suffered horific burns when he put his thumb in one.

Jade Bishop, 24, from Somerset in the United Kingdom, took to Facebook to warn about the dangers of allowing small children anywhere near vacuum cleaners.

In the post, Ms Bishop explained how her son, Theo, got fourth-degree burns when he stuck his thumb in the bottom of her Dyson vacuum cleaner, while her back was turned.

Mum Warns About Dangers of Vacuum Cleaners After Her Toddler Son Suffered Burns | Stay at Home Mum

Ms Bishop said that she was hesitant of posting at first, feeling like ‘the world’s worst mum’, but said that she decided to post the warning as the incident appears to be a lot more common than she realised.

“So I turn the vacuum (Dyson) off and turn my back to unplug it from the wall, I hear Theo turn it back on, turn my head to hear him screaming.

“I yank the plug from the wall and he has managed to put his thumb in the bottom of the Dyson where the bristles spin at a crazy speed. I go to him quicker than I ever have to see he has a nasty burn on his hand,” she wrote.

Mum Warns About Dangers of Vacuum Cleaners After Her Toddler Son Suffered Burns | Stay at Home Mum

Ms Bishop then rushed Theo to hospital where they were referred to a burns specialist.

“They are talking about possibilities of skin grafts and surgery and nasty scarring with restricted movement as he grows. (He’ll have) his burn cleaned and redressed every three days and a appointment with specialists weekly. Please, please, please do not let your children near vacuum cleaners!” she wrote.

She told Mirror.co.uk that she was heartbroken after seeing her baby boy in pain. “My heart was in my throat,” she said. “My baby boy was in agony. I’ve never heard him cry like that. I was so shocked that something like this has happened. Five seconds in that hoover and it could be potentially life-changing for him.”

Mum Warns About Dangers of Vacuum Cleaners After Her Toddler Son Suffered Burns | Stay at Home Mum

Despite this, Ms Bishop doesn’t blame the company. “I know it wasn’t the company’s fault and I understand they can’t change their design, but just a warning in the booklet or sticker on the hoover could save so many accidents,” she said.

A Dyson spokesman said: “This is a heart-wrenching accident. Vacuum cleaners can be very tempting to little fingers but they are very powerful machines not to be toyed with. We hear Theo is doing better and hope he has a full recovery.”

Source: Essentialbaby.com.au



Facebook Comments

RELATED ARTICLE