A mother has been hailed a ‘super mum’ after single-handedly saving her five kids from her burning house in Western Sydney.
Sharon McKeown was doing the laundry in her St Clair home on Friday, when her smoke alarm went off at around 6pm, and within seconds, smoke and flames engulfed her house.
Thinking about her five children, including her four-month-old, trapped inside the house, the quick-thinking mum immediately went into action.
“Thank God I had smoke alarms, as I turned around, it was black and the two little ones were fast asleep,” she said. “I grabbed the two girls out of the bed because they were asleep and got them all out the front, I had to go back in a few times looking for him [her son]. I realised there was nothing at all we could do everything was gone.”
While they were left with nothing, Ms McKeown was just thankful that no one was hurt.
NSW Fire and Rescue are still identifying the cause of the fire, but believe that it was an accident. “At this stage it’s too early for investigators to establish exactly how this fire broke out but they are looking at the possibility that it was accidentally started by a young child,” NSW Fire and Rescue’s Josh Turner said.
Despite this, one of Ms McKeown’s daughters has recognised how their mum risked her life to save theirs. “I call her super mum,” she said.
A crowdfunding page has also been set up to help the McKeown family.