Woolworths has made an urgent recall on a Halloween toy after it was found that children were at risk of swallowing the button batteries in the toy.
The toy — a Halloween LED Spinning Wand — which comes with a Halloween Ghost and Pumpkin head that light up — was sold in Woolworths and Safeway supermarkets across Australia from September 28 until October 18.
A Woolworths spokesperson said:
“There is a risk this product may crack open when dropped exposing the button cell batteries. This will cause serious injury if ingested by young children.
“Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injuries or death.”
“Button batteries are powerful, slim and light, but they can also be lethal”.
“This latest issue is yet another reminder of why it’s vital that the federal government acts to reduce the number of children ending up in emergency departments across the country having swallowed a button battery.”
CHOICE stated that every week, 20 children in Australia are taken to emergency departments for a button battery related incident.
Anyone who has bought the toy has been asked to immediately stop using it and return it to any Woolworths or Safeway supermarkets for a full refund. “Woolworths apologises to their customers for any inconvenience caused by this recall and if further information is required about the recall they are invited to call our toll-free Customer Service number: 1800 103 515,” the supermarket giant stated.