The season for blood oranges is never as long as we’d like, so we have to make the most of it with recipes like this Almost Vegan Blood Orange Upside Down Cake. Why almost vegan? Well the cake is dairy free and egg free, but it’s got honey in it. To some vegans, that’s a deal breaker, but it depends on the person.
If you’re not worried about the vegan aspect, this cake is a guaranteed winner. The texture from the different flours is scrumptious and crumbly, while the stunning blood orange colours are enough to make us swoon. Bring it on!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees.
- In a bowl mix together the spelt, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder and blood orange zest.
- In another, smaller, bowl mix together the wet ingredients, including the orange juice, the honey, the vanilla and the almond milk.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, being careful not to over mix.
- Prepare a 20cm diameter cake pan by greasing the sides of the pan and laying baking paper over the bottom. Arrange the thin slices of blood orange across the baking paper in a single layer, cutting the oranges if necessary.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool for a few minutes before flipping out onto a wire rack. Cool before slicing.