Aromatic Yellow Spiced Rice
Don’t let the name ‘Aromatic Yellow Spiced Rice’ fool you – I might have called this dish ‘Aromatic Yellow Spiced Rice’ but the reference to spice is in flavour only and in no way refers to heat. It’s a great dish to introduce children to the colours, aromas and flavours of the world of spice.
This is one of my most requested side dishes, it’s almost like a pilaf. I have quite a few friends who have taught their kids to cook it on days when they want to (or need to) help with dinner.
You need a frypan with a lid for this recipe, preferably non-stick
Serves six as a side dish.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati Or Long Grain Rice
- 3 cups Chicken Or Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Oregano
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
How to Make Aromatic Yellow Spiced Rice:
- Heat the olive oil in the frypan over med-low heat.
- Gently fry the spices together in oil until aromatic, be careful not to burn them.
- Then add the rice and toast it in the spices, stirring constantly for about a minute to a minute and a half - make sure the rice is well coated.
- Pour over the stock, stir for about 30 seconds, put the lid on and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer until all of the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Fluff the rice and serve.
- Note: I often can’t help myself and I stir the rice a couple of times in the first 6 minutes of cooking!