Black Forest Cake makes for a very special birthday or special occasion cake. This is a very traditional recipe and I must admit not particularly frugal – but for a cheats version – use our Frugal Chocolate Mud Cake and sandwich with cherry filling!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 1/2 cups Plain Flour sifted
- 1 gram Salt
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder sifted
- 1 1/4 cups Caster Sugar
- 3/4 cups Butter melted
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Eggs Beaten
The Cherry Sauce:
- 1 Jar Morello Cherries, Drained And Pitted
- 1/3 Cherry Liqueur 1/3 cup
- 2 cups Double Cream
- 3 tbsp Icing Sugar
- 2 cups Double Cream
- 1 cup Cherry as toppings
- 1 Dark Chocolate 1 cup, grated
- In a small bowl add the evaporated milk and add in the tablespoon of white vinegar. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, cocoa powder, bicarb and sugar into a bowl. Add the melted butter and half of the milk mixture and beat well.
- Add the vanilla extract, egg and remaining milk mixture and beat vigorously for two minutes.
- Divide the batter into two round cake tins and bake at 180 degrees for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool in the tins before turning out onto a wire rack.
- To make the cherry sauce, drain the jar of cherries but reserve the juice. Place half a cup of the juice and the cherry liqueur into a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Boil for three minutes or until the mixture reduces slightly. Set aside to cool. Once the cherry mixture is cooled, fold in the cream and icing sugar. Use it immediately.
- To assemble the cake: Carefully cut each black forest cake in half so that you have four individual slabs of cake.
- Sandwich the four layers together with the cherry sauce, and also add the sauce on top of the cake.
- Beat the double cream and ice over the top of the cherry sauce and down the sides. Add the cherries on top for decoration.
- Keep the black forest cake covered in the fridge and serve the same day.
- Not suitable for freezing (although the uniced cakes are!).