When it comes to cakes we like to keep things simple sometimes with this Cheap As Hot Milk Cake. Sure, modern cakes are all about decadence and overindulgence, but sometimes you just want a nice comforting cake that isn’t going to give you a sugar rush to the moon and back. This cake is sweet but simple, perfect for afternoon tea or just a quick treat.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees and place an oven rack in the middle of your oven. Prepare a standard bundt cake pan by greasing it.
- In a small saucepan on a medium low heat, melt the butter. Then add the milk and vanilla, and continue to heat until small bubbles can be seen around the outside of the pan and the mix is hot. It should not boil. Reduce heat to low once mixture is hot and leave for a moment.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs and the sugar together for five minutes or so.
- Once the egg and sugar mix has crippled in volume, very slowly add the hot milk, mixing on a low speed until just incorporated. Add the dry ingredients in two lots, mixing after each addition until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 60 minutes, checking about 10 mins and 5 mins before baking time is over. When ready, a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake will come out clean, or perhaps with a few small crumbs.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely before serving.