Cheese Straws are my Dad’s absolute favourite thing in the world.
I make them for him every Christmas, but I can never make them like his Mum did! Luckily I’m not easily dissuaded and I keep trying. To date, this is my best effort maybe next year I’ll have an even better one!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Sift the flours, salt and spices into a mixing bowl.
- Using your fingertips, rub in the butter.
- Add the grated cheeses and stir.
- Add the egg yolk and enough of the water to make a dough.
- Knead very gently, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Roll the dough out between two pieces of greaseproof paper until about 4mm thick and cut into long thin rectangles (about 1cm wide by 10cm long).
- Place on a baking tray and sprinkle with a little salt (this is optional!).
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Stand for a few minutes before cooling on a wire rack.