How To Make A Delicious Chicken Vol Au Vent
I know a vol au vent is pretty old school but you are going to love this main meal-sized one!
If you aren’t sure – ‘Vol au vent’ is pronounced: Vool ee Vant.
They used to be super popular in the 1970’s – and you can still get pre-made vol au vent cases in Woolworths (you can find them where the pie cases are usually kept). But in this recipe we make our very own pastry casing! You can find pre-made Puff Pastry Sheets in the freezer section of your local Supermarket. Buy the good brands – it does make a huge difference.
Serve a whole Chicken Vol Au Vent with a light salad as a whole meal!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Chicken Thigh pieces
- 600 grams Chicken Thigh Pieces
- 2 tbsp Plain Flour
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- Salt and Pepper To Taste
- 1 cup Cream
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- Fresh Thyme Or Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 6 sheets Puff Pastry, Defrosted
- 1 Egg, Lightly Beaten
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese, Grated
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
How to make Chicken Vol au Vents:
- Preheat oven to 190°C
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a bag and add the chicken. Toss to coat.
- Heat a non-stick frypan over low heat, add a drizzle of oil, butter, leek and a good pinch of salt and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add chicken pieces and fry for a few minutes, you may need to add another dash of olive oil or butter - you want to cook the rawness out of the flour.
- In a bowl, combine sour cream and cream and combine well. Season with salt and pepper
- Add cheese and sour cream mix, stock and fresh herbs to the pan and stir through.
- Turn the heat up to thicken the sauce, place in a bowl, and set aside to cool a little before placing in the fridge to chill.\
- Cut strips from the outside of each pastry sheet as per image, leaving a square behind.
- Brush outside edges of the squares with egg and lay the strips to create a barrier around the outside to contain the chicken mix. Repeat until you have piled up strips on each side.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg, lay a piece of baking paper in each one, fill with baking beads or rice and blind bake for about 10 mins.
- Remove the baking paper and beads, divide the chicken mixture between pastry cases, top with cheese and make until pastry is golden brown and puffed up.
- Place on an oven tray and bake for 20 to 25 mins or until golden brown and crispy.