If you want to decorate any kind of baked goods like a pro, you need a good buttercream recipe like this Lemon Buttercream Frosting. With this behind you, there’s an entirely new dimension to cake and cupcake decorating, that you are just going to love. This particularly recipe is smooth and comforting, but also tangy as hell.
Now, you can use an electric mixer for this, but it takes time for it to come together. If you have one, a stand mixer is definitely a smarter choice.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 5 cups Icing Sugar sifted, no lumps
- 1 1/2 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 1/3 cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Yellow Food Colour 1 drop, optional
- In a bowl, add the powdered sugar and the softened butter. Mix on a low speed (using a stand mixer or electric handheld mixer) until just combined.
- Continue to beat the butter/sugar mixture on a medium speed until it becomes to look creamy.
- Add in the zest and lemon juice, feeling free to increase sugar if you feel the mix is too watery.
- If you would like to, add a drop or two of yellow food colouring. This definitely isn’t required.
- Continue to mix until the frosting is your desired consistency. Spoon it into a piping bag if you’re piping, or if you’re applying with a frosting knife leave in the bowl.
- Cool for 30-60 minutes before applying, to ensure it holds its shape.