If you’re looking to mix up your weekly family fried rice, we very much recommend this Mexican Fried Rice. We make ours with leftover brown rice to really amp up the heathy fibre, but you can use white rice if you please. What we love about this recipe is that it’s super healthy, but also very flexible. This version is vegetarian/vegan, but you can change it up with whatever you have on hand!
If you really want to simplify this recipe, omit all the spices and replace with a mexican seasoning sachet from your local supermarket!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 Onion diced
- 1 large Red Capsicum
- 2 cups Cooked Brown Rice
- 600 grams Black Beans about two cans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Coriander chopped
- 1 Cup Corn Kernels
- In a large saucepan, or even a wok, add the oil and place on a low heat. To this add the minced garlic, and cook on low for a few minutes, stirring as needed.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, paprika and oregano. Stir all the spices together for another few minutes.
- To the pan add the onion and the capsicum. Increase the heat and cook at this temperature for 5 minutes. Add the corn, and give it another few minutes in the heat, stirring well.
- Into the mix add your brown rice and stir to heat it through, a few minutes. The black beans and coriander can be stirred through now, along with additional salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve it up!