Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Dust the beef with the flour until coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan until very hot and fry off the shanks until browned all over.
- Remove from the heat and arrange them on the bottom on a casserole dish. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Reheat the pan without wiping out and fry off the onion, carrot and celery for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Pour the vegetable mix evenly over the beef shanks.
- Again reheat the pan without wiping out and fry off the garlic and mushrooms for about 3 minutes.
- Add the wine and stock and bring to the boil.
- Gently pour over the shanks.
- Open the tin of tomatoes and pour it even over the top.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 60 - 75 minutes or until the meat is tender. When the meat is tender, remove the foil and cook for a further 20 minutes or until browned.