How to Make Perfect Microwave Porridge
In Winter, I like to give my boys a hot breakfast before school. There is something about a hot breakfast – it makes me feel good as a Mum, but it also seems to fill them up just that little bit more before school. But I’m busy in the mornings (as we all are) – so this is one of my FAST AND HOT recipes – because porridge is cheap and filling – and I make it for the whole family.
My husband always makes porridge from scratch on the stove and it takes sooo long! He thought that when I cooked it in the microwave it was cheating, that was until my eldest son said he actually PREFERRED my microwave version (hahaha!).
PS: I think the secret to a fantastic porridge is to have it very sweet, very salty and very gluggy. That’s just me. Feel free to adjust the salt, sugar and cooking time to suit how you like your porridge.
NOTE: Make sure you use a deep bowl or a microwave proof container or you will end up with porridge boiled all over your microwave.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats (not Quick Oats)
- 2/3 cups Boiling Water
- Pinch Of Salt
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
How to Make Perfect Microwave Porridge:
- Grab a large cereal bowl (or microwave proof container) - but something with a bit of depth to cook the porridge in.
- Add the oats, boiling water (or milk if you prefer) and the salt.
- Cook on HIGH for three minutes.
- Remove and stir well. Place back in the microwave.
- Cook additional two - three minutes.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl and add milk, top with sugar and a few slices of banana and maple syrup.