What to make for the man that has everything? Pickled Onions. They are my husband’s absolute favourite – and the home made version tastes soooo good. Add them to a sterilised jar and add a label or tag. You can pick up some really attractive jars from Ebay (I picked up some American style mason jars (in Australia) for $22 for 12!) or just recycle some jam jars!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 kg Small Pickling Onions
- 1/2 cup Salt
- 8 cups Brown Vinegar
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 2 tsp Whole Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Red Chili de-seeded and chopped very finely
- 1 tsp Whole Peppercorns
Tried Dinnerly instead?
All ingredients supplied, Cook Easy Meals for under $5.95 P/PExclusive SAHM Offer: $60 Off the first 3 meal boxes. Use code: C3MAMI20F at checkout.
Redeem this Offer
- Add two litres of water to a large stockpot and add the salt. Stir well to combine.
- Peel the onions (but leave them whole) and place them into the salt water. Let them soak overnight (or 12 hours minimum).
- Drain the onions well and rinse with fresh clean water. Distribute the onions amongst your clean and sterilised jars until they are full (but don't squash them in). If you have standard sized jam jars it will make about 7 - 8 jars.
- In a large pot or saucepan, heat the vinegar, sugar, chili and spices. Stir constantly over low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil and simmer well for 15 - 20 minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened. Let the liquid cool to room temperature and strain well through a muslin sheet or similar.
- Gently fill the jars of onions with the vinegar mixture until full and the onions are completely covered. Seal and store in a dark place for three weeks before eating.
- Once opened, jars should be kept in the fridge.