Red Velvet Cake is a very typical American style recipe – but I think they are a bit spesh. This makes a lovely decadent birthday cake or a cake for special occasions. It is very very rich, so only small slices!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Red food colouring
- Plain Flour
- White Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Using electric beaters or a mix master or similar, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- In a small cup mix together the cocoa and the red food colouring, and add the mixed paste to the buttery mixture.
- Sift the flour together with the salt and add the flour mix alternatively with the Buttermilk until all combined.
- Dissolve the bicarb in the vinegar and add to the mixture together with the Vanilla Extract.
- Fold Gently until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into two greased round cake tins.
- Smooth over the top and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Sit the cakes in their tins for approximately five minutes before turning out into wire racks to cool.
- Sandwich together with the icing of your choice - but a lovely fluffy white icing is the most visually appealing!