If you want a dessert that’s truly sexy, you can’t go much further than our unbelievably Saucy Slow Cooked Banana Cake (With Syrup!).
This bad boy will have you drooling all the way back up to the bowl for seconds. Now, don’t confuse this banana cake with the kind you have for breakfast at that trendy organic cafe. NOPE. This is the kind of banana cake you make when all the kids are at friend’s houses and you’re all by yourself so you can savour the glory in silence. It’s fluffy and delicious with the sexy brown sugar sauce bringing it all together. Loving it!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Bananas ripe and mashed
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/3 tsp Bicarb Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar packed
- 1 1/2 cup Water boiled
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
You'll want a nice big slow cooker for this. We used one that was 5 litres or more and it was a pretty good fit. In a smaller slow cooker the cake will overflow. Prep the slow cooker by lining it with a slow cooker liner. These are just plastic liners that make cleanup of the cooker super easy. If you don't have one, just grease the entire cooker with a spray oil, like coconut or similar.
For The Bread
- Into a large bowl add the eggs, oil, sugars (both) and vanilla. Combine using a whisk.
- Add the mashed bananas, and stir until well mixed.
- On to that add the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Sifting it is highly recommended. Also, throw in your spices and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into your prepped slow cooker and spread it until it is one layer that's even and relatively flat. Set aside for a moment.
For The Sauce
- In a large bowl, add the brown sugar to the clove and combine. The cloves are optional, but we really liked the little kick.
- Then add the boiling water and whisk until a sauce form. Pour this sauce over the banana bread mix in the slow cooker, but do not stir it. As the bread cooks the sauce will thicken and become heavenly, but do not stir at any point.
- Pop the lid on the slow cooker and cook on high for around 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You can pop a tea towel over your cake between the lid to soak up any condensation if you like, but the presence of it will depend on your cooker. All slow cookers are different, so keep a close eye on your bread from the 60-minute mark to make sure you don't overdo it. When it's done the edges of the cake will be set, and the colour will be a light golden brown. You can check the bread by sticking a toothpick into the middle.
- Remove the ceramic bowl out of the slow cooker to let the bread cool a little before serving. This bowl will be hot so be very careful.