Saunders’ Malt Extract Malted Ginger Cake
Just in time for Halloween, the team at Sweet Magazine have shared the Saunders’ Malt Extract Malted Ginger Cake!
Malt extract provides a concentrate of simple and complex carbohydrates and proteins that include amino acids, plus it’s full of Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6 and B12, which are great for energy and vitality. With all of those nutrients it’s easy to see why pharmacists of old would recommend a tablespoon for all kinds of ailments from nervousness to exhaustion and good digestion!
Malt extract is made from roasted malted barley used in the production of beers, delicious chocolate coated confections, and baking! Grains are dried out, steeped in water and allowed to sprout, and then dried again. Brewers warm the grain to activate enzymes and turn starches into sugar (mostly maltose). The water is evaporated from the liquid produced in this process and what remains is malt extract!
Sweet Magazine took this delicious sticky Saunders’ Malt Extract and turned it into Malted Ginger Cake, see the recipe below!
“Saunders’ Malt Extract is available at most Coles and Woolworths supermarkets”
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Grease and line four 15cm (6') cake tins with baking paper and pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Cream Together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, add the eggs, and beat until combined. Gradually add in the Saunders' Malt Extract and beat well.
- Stir in half the sifted dry ingredients with half of the hot water. Repeat with the remaining dry ingredients and water, and stir until the mixture is smooth and no longer lumpy.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake tins and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake is clean when removed. Cool for 15 minutes in the tin before turning onto a rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat butter until pale and creamy, then add icing sugar a few tablespoons at a time. Once all the sugar is added, beat until smooth and light in colour. Add Vanilla Extract and cream and whip until buttercream is luscious and thick. Stir through cinnamon and ice your cake!