How to Make Spelt Flour Pizza Dough
Spelt is an old fashioned grain with loads of nutrients in it. It is very good for you and is available at most health food stores or in the flour section of your local supermarket.
Spelt flour has a slightly reddish tinge to it and it has a nutty flavour.
It makes for a delicious and rustic pizza dough – that is perfect with really simple toppings such as feta cheese and pumpkin.
Note: Spelt Flour is not Gluten Free.
We also have recipes for:
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 cup Spelt Flour
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 3 tsps Dried Yeast
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
How to Make Spelt Flour Pizza Dough:
Note: You will require time for the yeast to activate and rise - ensure you preheat the oven when you are ready to cook the pizza.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, place the stone in the oven to heat.
- In a bowl, add one cup of warm water (not hot) and add the yeast and the brown sugar.
- Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes so the yeast activates - you should start seeing some small bubbles on top.
- Sift the flours well together with the salt, and then fold them through the yeast mixture.
- Place the mixture on a floured bench and knead the dough for 10 minutes or until it becomes nice and elastic.
- Place the mixture in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place it in a warm place to rise for two hours.
- Remove the plastic wrap and 'punch' down the dough. Knead it again for a few minutes.
- Roll out into a round shape and dress your pizza.
- Cook at 180 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until crispy on the edges and cooked through.