If you’re like me who loves pork belly but picky about how it’s done, then you’ll be pleased to learn about this Sticky and Crispy Asian Pork Belly recipe.
If I’m going to eat pork belly it must be tender, has a crispy crackling and must have tangy thick sauce. Serve me pork belly with crackling that’s not crispy enough and I’ll be in a foul mood. It’s like someone made me eat veggies I don’t like.
Yes, that’s the feeling I get!
However, I can confidently say that this Sticky and Crispy Asian Pork Belly recipe totally ticked ALL 3 boxes! And it’s all the more appealing to make as it’s super super easy!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Place pork belly skin side up in large baking dish. Boil a full kettle of water and pour over pork belly covering the top of the skin with 3cm of water.
- Add a teaspoon of salt to the water. Place baking dish in oven and poach/bake for one hour.
- While pork is baking, place all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring well. Reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer while pork cooks, stirring occasionally.
- Remove baking dish from oven and carefully drain water. Remove pork belly and pat skin dry 3 to 4 times with paper towel until paper towel is dry when touching skin.
- Score skin with a knife if this has not already been done by your butcher, ensuring you don't cut the skin all the way through to the meat.
- Pour sticky sauce over the base of baking dish. Rub sesame oil over skin, place pork belly onto sticky sauce in baking tray skin side up.
- Make sure you do not get any sauce on the skin or it will not be crispy when cooked. Season the pork skin with garlic salt.
- Place back in oven (still at 180 degrees) for another 50 minutes. After 50 minutes increase heat to 200 degrees...DO NOT walk away now as you will need to watch the crackling to make sure it doesn't burn.
- The crackling will now have that final blast of heat and start to bubble up, yet still golden brown. This will take 5-10 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven. Using tongs, place pork belly on chopping board and slice. Pour remaining sauce in jug and serve.
- Serve with fresh greens and baked potatoes.