How to Make Toffee Apples
I love making Toffee Apples, it’s great fun. It’s also quite dangerous (I’ve had many a burn on my arms…) so please be so very careful!! Although the recipe is easy – if you’re only a beginner cook – get some help for this one! For more great ideas on recipes for the School Fete, don’t forget to check out the Confectionery section!
If you are looking for Toffee Apple Sticks – we have listed a couple of stockists below!
- The Bakers Confection (United States)
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- Cream of Tartar
- Red liquid food colouring
- 15 grams Sticks
- 15 small Apples Red Delicious are the best, washed and dried well
- 4 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Cream Of Tartar
- 2 tsp Red Liquid Food Colouring (optional - you can just leave them toffee coloured if you wish!)
Tried Dinnerly instead?
All ingredients supplied, Cook Easy Meals for under $5.95 P/PExclusive SAHM Offer: $60 Off the first 3 meal boxes. Use code: C3MAMI20F at checkout.
Redeem this Offer
- Push a stick into the middle of each apple from the top (ie place the stick where the apple was connected to the tree).
- Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place sugar and water into a heavy-based saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. Stop stirring.
- Bring to the boil.
- Using a wet pastry brush, brush away sugar crystals on sides of saucepan above syrup.
- Stir in cream of tartar and food colouring very carefully (it can spit!).
- Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer toffee for 20 minutes or until it reaches hard crack stage. To check if it has reached this stage, add 1 teaspoon of toffee to a glass of ice-cold water.
- Remove solidified toffee from water and bend it.
- The toffee should crack easily and not feel sticky.
- Once toffee is at this stage, remove from heat immediately.
- Wait until toffee stops bubbling then dip 1 apple into toffee.
- Tip pan on an angle to coat apple in toffee, especially around stick.
- Place onto prepared baking tray.
- Repeat with remaining apples.
- Allow to set at room temperature.
- Wrap in cellophane and tie with a pretty ribbon. Great for Fetes or birthday parties!