We Road Test the Latest Ham Glazes from Woolworths
A little confession from me here, I’ve never actually baked a ham for Christmas before now. Sure I have ham every Christmas, but usually it’s cold and cut straight from the bone. So, when these glazes came across my desk last week, I was very excited to try them, and also have a crack at baking a ham for the first time ever!
First of all, I had to learn how to actually bake a ham!
How Big a Ham Should I Buy?
Most butchers agree that allowing a good 250 – 300 grams of ham per person is a good number to work with. I always think you should go the higher end of that so you have leftovers for the ‘After Christmas’ period when no one really wants to cook and there are so many amazing ways to use leftover ham.
Bone In or Bone Out?
Hams with the bone in are tastier (all meat with the bone in is!) Boneless ham is a ham that has had the bone removed (obviously!) and then is rolled together. Both are great – personally I love the bone-in versions.
How to Bake an Amazing Glazed Whole Ham
- Preheat the oven to a low 170 degrees C.
- Remove the ham from the plastic wrapping and gently dry it with paper towels.
- Choose one of the new Woolworths Glazes (Sweet Cherry, Spiced Apple or Golden Maple) and set aside. The glazes can be applied to the ham in the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Place baking paper or aluminium foil into the bottom of the baking dish and add 1/3 cup of water to the pan.
- Using a very sharp knife, gently remove the rind from the ham, careful to keep it in once piece.
- Place the rind on a cutting board, and score a diamond pattern into the fat.
- Pour 1/3 of the of the glaze onto the rind and rub in well.
- Place the rind back on the ham, place it into the baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven, and baste the ham with the remaining glaze. Increase the oven temperature to 180 degrees C to help the rind to brown.
- Cook for an additional 25 minutes, adding more water to the baking tray as required.
- Remove from the oven, rest the ham for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Cut and enjoy!
The New Glazes from Woolworths
Woolworths has just released three different pre-made glazes for your baked ham. Save time in the kitchen this Christmas by grabbing one to baste your ham for Christmas Day! They have three super yummy flavours:
Check out our video at the end where we taste test all three to see which flavour we here at Stay at Home Mum love the BEST!
Golden Maple Baked Ham Glaze
Spiced Apple Ham Glaze
Sweet Cherry Ham Glaze