Georgia Chester, a Perth resident, has warned other parents regarding the use of baby monitors after one exploded at the head of her toddler’s cot recently.
Chester’s partner was about to put their child to bed when they heard a loud “bang”. When they went in to investigate, they saw the baby monitor shattered into two pieces and clearly looked like it had exploded.
“He went to her room and found it filled with smoke,” Chester told WA Today.
The baby monitor was a Uniden BW3400 model, and is a popular multi-camera monitoring system for parents. The baby monitor was purchased by Chester only eight months ago.
According to Chester, she could see that the rechargeable lithium batteries of the said baby monitor were swollen.
Chester has contacted Uniden – the manufacturer of the baby monitor, and they have agreed to send the family a new one.
“It’s very worrying. If others have the same camera, it could potentially cause serious damage,” she said.
Uniden Australia’s managing director, Vic Sacco, claims that this has never happened with this particular product before but they will definitely be reviewing the situation. They have removed this model of baby monitor from their website until they have conducted a full investigation.
“We take any product concerns seriously and can’t provide further comment until we thoroughly review the unit,” stated Sacco.
If you own a Uniden baby monitor and have concerns, please contact Uniden via their company website.