These DIY bath bombs are a fabulous inexpensive and fun gift to make!
We show you how to make four medium sized bath bombs! This mixture will make four medium-sized bath bombs.
You will need:
- 1.5 cups of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup of citric acid (very important to get the fine grade – available from chemists)
- Sweet almond oil
- a few drops of the essential oil of your choice. I like lavender or eucalyptus. But sweet orange oil, lemon oil and peppermint oils are good choices too.
- food colouring
- fine sieve
- rubber gloves
- non-metal bowl
- moulds of choice
- Sift the bicarbonate of soda and citric acid twice into a bowl and stir well to combine. Measure half a cup of this mixture, and transfer it to a separate bowl and set aside.
- In a small cup, add six to ten drops of the essential oil of choice 1/2 tablespoon of the sweet almond oil and 10 – 12 drops of the food colouring of your choice. Mix the liquid well to combine.
- Add it to the half a cup of set aside mixture and stir quickly to prevent the mixture ‘fizzing’. Put on your rubber gloves and work the mixture to evenly distribute the colour. Use a little of the sweet almond oil to grease the moulds and press the half a cup of mixture well into the mould.
- Repeat this method again only working with 1/2 cup of the mixture at a time until finished.
- Let the bath bombs ‘mature’ for 36 hours or so in a dry place and then very carefully tip them upside down to remove them from the moulds. Wrap them in cellophane or similar and decorate with a ribbon.
- Doing only half a cup at a time may seem fiddly, but then you can make four different colours and scents.
Some Hints and Tips:
- Add half a teabag of chamomile tea to the mix for a relaxing bath bomb.
- To use, add the bath bomb to a warm to hot bath. These don’t work in cold water.