The wonder wo-mum meets wonder oil.
Cleaning is an inescapable, tiring and messy reality in parenting. But its benefits can save your entire family from any health risks. Yes, we are superheroes disguised in our cleaning gloves and boots and protective masks in battling the mundane household chores.
In our quest to keep our home germ-free, it is best to resort to natural and economical way to do our household chores. Today, we will unravel 8 home cleaning benefits of tea tree oil.
Tea tree oil (TTO) is extracted from leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia which is native in Australia and New Zealand. This oil is a common ingredient among beauty and skin care products. It also has a variety of practical and convenient uses and is economical in comparison to other essential oils.
Before using this oil, here are safety precautions to keep in mind:
- Several pregnant women resort to tea tree oil in treating acne due to pregnancy hormones. But this poses a great danger for them as it might lengthen labour contractions which can be dangerous to the mum and baby. Even breastfeeding mums should stop applying oil on nipples as it can be possibly absorbed by infants.
- Keep away from children and animals.
- Try to test it on the surface you are about to use to avoid discolouration.
- Wear protective gloves for any occurrence of skin allergies. If this happens, discontinue its use.
The 8 cleaning wonders of tea tree oil
Here are a few ideas on how TTO can add a punch on your daily cleaning:
1. General All Purpose Spray Cleaner
Anything that need disinfecting and cleaning, a few spray of tea tree oil gets the job done. Add 10 drops of tea tree oil to 250 mls of white vinegar and 250 mls water in a spray bottle. Spray on any surface such as kitchen countertops or floor.
2. Laundry Decontaminant
Add a few drops of tea tree oil into the cycle when you are doing your clothes washing. It’s especially good to deodorise your hubby and kids’ stinking clothes and socks, and also freshens up towels and sheets. Pop it in when washing your cloth nappies with its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
3. Garbage Bin Deodoriser
Get rid of the nasty smell by putting 3 or 4 drops of tea tree oil into the garbage bin. It doesn’t get rid of the smell but as well as inhibiting the growth of bacteria.