The best thing about these recipes is that you can play around with different smells and combinations that suit you and your family’s preferences.
Going into shops that sell heavily fragranced products makes my head hurt. All of those artificial scents contain so many terrible ingredients, cost a lot of money, and let’s face it, smell like piss.
Here are 11 ways to make your house smell beautiful without the toxic ingredients. Most recipes call for essential oil. Try to buy the best essential oils you can afford and try to avoid fragrance oils.
- A spray bottle (glass or plastic)
- Distilled or filtered water
- Rubbing alcohol or vodka
- Essential oils of your choice
- Combine 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup alcohol
- add 10-20 drops (depending on how strong you want the scent to be) of essential oil(s)
Shake the mixture before spraying. The alcohol helps the spray evaporate more quickly.
- A small glass bottle or narrow vase
- 5-10 bamboo skewers
- A carrier oil (sweet almond, safflower, or jojoba oil are light and can easily travel up the skewers)
- Essential oils of your choice.
- Put 1/4 cup of carrier oil in the bottle/vase and add 15-25 drops of essential oil.
- Stir the oils together with a skewer, and then place the rest of the skewers in the bottle/vase.
You will be able to notice the scent after couple of hours as the oil travels up the skewers
- Mason/canning jar (you don’t need a lid)
- 1/2 cup baking soda (this helps to absorb any unwanted smells)
- A piece of cloth to cover the jar and a rubber band
- 15-25 drops of essential oils of your choice.
- Fill the mason jar with baking soda and then add the essential oils.
- Place the cloth over the jar and secure with the rubber band.
Just shake the jar now and then to release more scent.