EEEEK!! Your child has come home with nits and head lice.
It happens, to most of us. Luckily, although they are a pain, there are a few easy ways of getting rid of nits and lice using products from your cupboard at home.
A good thing all parents should have at home at all times is a lice comb, they are available from your local Pharmacy for just a few dollars. If you aren’t sure what lice and nits look like, check out this Youtube video so you can get a good idea!
Tip: Parents can get lice too! When treating your child’s hair, wear a shower cap!
Home Remedies for Nits and Lice
- When the kids are in the bath – pour plain white vinegar through their hair (be careful you don’t get it in their eyes, it will sting!). Leave it in overnight and wash it out in the morning and comb through with a nit comb. You will need to repeat this method three to four days later.
- Use a cheap conditioner and cover the kids hair with a shower cap and leave it for a few hours. Then comb through with a nit comb to remove eggs. You will have to repeat 3 – 4 days later in case you miss any eggs.
- Mayonnaise is meant to work in the same was as conditioner method above – and it makes your hair lovely and shiny.
- Olive oil also works by ‘smothering’ the lice and the eggs. Massage through to the scalp – leave for a few hours if you can – then wash thoroughly. Use a comb to remove what’s left!
- If you have Selsun Blue or Selsun Gold (anti dandruff shampoos), wash your child’s hair with the Selsun and leave in the hair for 30 minutes (place a shower cap on to prevent the soap getting into their eyes), then wash out, condition and use a lice comb.