The economy doesn’t seem to be looking any better, but the kids still want to have fun on their school holidays.
While you may be tempted to just say “Sorry kids, maybe next time,” why not plan something inexpensive to give the kids something fun to do while they’re away from school? Here are 50 cheap school holiday activities that the kids will love while they’re free from the tedium of books and lessons.
1. Go camping in the garden or backyard, or even just in the living room. If you already have a tent, this doesn’t cost a thing. Serve up some hotdogs and tell stories until you fall asleep.
2. Have a movie day if you don’t want to head outside. This is perfect for a rainy day. Rent a few kids movies and stock up on popcorn.
3. Plant vegetables with the kids. You don’t even need a garden for this. Most of the fun comes from finding containers to recycle as pots, painting them, and planting the seeds. Choose something that grows fast and start on the first day of holidays, so the kids can see them grow each day.
4. Take a day at the beach. The only expense is the fuel and snacks while you’re out in the sun.
5. Visit the Sydney Observatory. They have a whole range of free activities for kids, including Lego Space Police. If you want to spend a little (up to around $45), you can enjoy the 3D Space Theatre or take a night visit.