So your child made it to university, congratulations!
While you ready your child emotionally for a new chapter in life, you should also make sure that he/she is physically ready to face the challenges of uni. By that, we mean that your child has the right things needed to survive his/her day-to-day activities.
And of course, it’s inevitable that they leave home to start a new beginning, so as a parent, you may help them prepare for the time they move out.
Tell them to pack light. It may seem impossible as leaving for uni for the first time can be so overwhelming, but remember that university rooms are not that big, so just don’t let them overpack.
Before leaving, call up the landlady or landlord to see what’s already in the accommodation. Some boarding houses already have simple items like bins or tables. Just inquire so you’ll know what needs to be brought. Ask also about the things that you should not bring so you’ll not waste time buying or bringing those items.
You may also refer to this checklist for the things your child needs to do or things that they may pack before leaving home for university. Print this one out and give it to them for a great headstart. Oh and by the way, feel free to just choose in the list the things you need to bring (not all! Lol!)
And so for students leaving home for university for the first time, we, at SAHM, wish you the best of luck!
Before You Leave Home:
- Arrange your student accommodation or flatmates.
- Set up a bank account.
- Organise parking and car insurance if you have a vehicle.
- Put together a budget for your finances.
- Put all your friends and family contacts into your phone.
Money, Banking and Work Essentials:
- Identification (passport, drivers licence if they have one)
- Bank Account and Card
- Copy of birth certificate
- Any required insurance certificates
- University Admission Letters
- Accommodation Confirmation Letters
- Laptop computer with charger
- Mobile phone and charger
- Alarm clock (or can use your phone!)
- Wireless Internet Router
- Opal Card or Transport Cards
- Bike or other transport to the university or work
- Diary, so you don’t forget important dates
- Cork board to pin bills
- Desk Lamp
- Course Notes and Required Materials
- A dressing gown (for those unexpected visitors)
- Loads of comfy clothing
- Coats and Jumpers
- One set of sheets
- Blankets or Doona
- Bath Towel
- Laundry Bag or Basket
- Mattress Protector
- Coat Hangers
- Condoms or contraceptives
- Ear Plugs
- Health Insurance Information
- Any required medications and the pharmacy script
- Toilet Rolls
- Nail Scissors
- Pack of playing cards
- Portable speakers
- Spare Batteries
- Extension Cord
- Double Adapter
- Small television (or if your laptop doubles – you don’t need that!)
- Gaming Console
- Microwave (if they have room)
- Sandwich Maker
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Tea Towel
- Microwave Proof Bowl
- Mini fridge (if a fridge isn’t provided)
Are you ready for uni?