Online dating is a $2.2 billion dollar industry…
– it’s convenient easy to use and great for people who don’t want to stand around in a bar waiting to meet someone special.
Online Dating now accounts for 1 in 5 relationships, and 1 in 6 marriages! You can’t argue with those kinds of figures!
But just how do you go about presenting yourself online? Writing about yourself is awkward at best, but when it’s a necessary evil in order to facilitate the best matches for your online dating experience, a little bit of savvy goes a long way.
Read on to discover how to write a shit hot online dating profile.
Come Up With a Non-Slutty User Name
Firstly, most dating sites will ask you to start with a username. You want this to be relevant to you without disclosing any personal details. Use your first name, or a nickname if it’s available but never use your last name. Avoid number combinations if possible, it looks cheesy and predictable. You can try to blend words instead, or use your first and middle name.
Steer well clear of the use of inappropriate vowels. ‘HotGurl’ is not particularly attractive and isn’t likely to bring the quality suitors knocking on your door. You could make your username a funny play on words, a great way to draw the attention of a humorous date.
Maybe you’d prefer to incorporate song lyrics (please, nothing cheesy, more like ‘BohoRhapsody’) or casual pop culture references. ‘CrazyCatChick’ is more likely to engage someone and make them laugh (in a good way) than say.. ‘SexiAngelBabi’. See what I mean?
Writing the “About Me” Section
Next, you’ll move on to the personal description part of your profile. This is crucial to the kind of people you want to attract. Most people look at your pictures first (we’ll get on to that a bit later on) but at some stage, they’re going to read your profile. And let’s be honest, the kind of people you actually want to date are the kind of people who will take the time to read a profile. So let’s get cracking.
Firstly, for the love of all things good and holy… USE YOUR SPELLCHECKER. Do not abbreviate words, do not substitute numerals for sounds (GR8, anyone?) and absolutely make yourself familiar with the fundamentals of grammar. You’ll thank me later, I promise. You want to be engaging and stand out from the crowd. Resist the urge to describe yourself as sweet, funny or nice. Every other profile out there already says that. You want to highlight the aspects of your personality that really sell you. And then do just that, sell it, baby!
Remember to be positive! No-one wants to read that you are grieving for your cat.
This can often be the hardest part of creating a profile. Invite a friend over, pop open a bottle of wine and have your friend list the things about you that they love. Get them to give you an example. Work this into your profile and I guarantee you will have a genuine, warm and approachable profile.
Bit of Advice for the Fellas:
Please fella’s, don’t send us dick pics. We really don’t understand WHY you do that – it isn’t attractive and is certainly not how you go about meeting a girl you could potentially have a relationship with. If all you are looking for is a quick pick up or booty call – there are other more appropriate places to ‘Advertise your wares’ than dating sites.
PS: Grooming is important.
Top Pick: eHarmony
eHarmony is an online dating website designed specifically to match single men and women with each other for long-term relationships. I like that they can match you by age and your area. They have a dedicated area for seniors. The way they match couples is all science-based and are so successful they have patented the technology. 11,000 members have married through meeting on eHarmony. Recommended for: Anyone looking for marriage and children.
To see the top 10 Best Australian Dating Websites click HERE
Online Dating Unlocked: How to get women to message you back
What are the do’s and don’ts in an online dating profile? Click next!
Now, here’s a list of Do’s and Don’ts…
1. Be honest, share personal anecdotes, be engaging.
2. Be honest if you have children and you’re comfortable sharing that information.
3. State what you want in a partner. “The right person for me is charming, will make me laugh, can cook a mean spag bol and will fearlessly hunt down spiders.”
4. Get a friend to help you create your profile by bringing to your attention your sparkling personality traits.
5. Provide an opening for conversation in your profile by listing things that you like, your interests and hobbies.
6. Keep it concise, eloquent and detailed enough to draw interest. Three paragraphs tops.
7. Perception is all in the language. State what you want.
1. Don’t overly discuss your personal life. We don’t need to know about your ex or your 17 cats.
2. Don’t use their names, mention their ages or post their pictures.
3. Don’t be negative in your profile. “Don’t contact me if you’re insecure, jealous or live with your mother.”
4. Do not drink all the wine with your best friend and then decide to post a profile. Best done sober. You’ll thank me later.
5. Don’t be too honest about all the things you like, your interests and hobbies. If your weekend hobbies consist of trash TV and multiple bottles of wine (there is nothing wrong with that, by the way… I hear you sister), it’s okay to tell a white lie in this situation. Tell them you like antique shopping and café coffee.
6. No need to sum yourself up in two sentences but also don’t waffle on. Leave a bit of mystery.
7. Don’t use terms like ‘hope’, ‘need’, ‘looking for love’ — it makes you seem needy.
Now we hit the fun part.. pictures!
Most dating sites allow for multiple pictures. Your first picture needs to be a head shot and a solo one at that. No group shots please! Take a few pictures and try not to have all of them self-taken. Include at least one body shot – if you don’t, people will assume you’re trying to hide something.
Smile in your pictures and try to let your pictures reflect who you are. Look directly at the camera. Pay careful attention to the background in your pictures! No one will notice your beautiful smile if you’ve taken it in the bathroom with a toilet in the background. Do not include pictures of your children, you have no idea who is viewing your profile.
Make sure that your pictures are recent and an honest reflection of who you are. Remember that your pictures are there to supplement the wonderful, charming person that you are. You don’t need to display yourself in an unnatural way in order to snag a date, so keep the pictures classy! It’s the best way to attract the right kind of people.
By now, you should have a cracking online dating profile set up and ready to go. Get out there, remember to have fun and enjoy the experience. And if you do meet Mr or Mrs Right, you can always tell the family you met them in the fruit aisle at Woolies.READ MORE 7 Things That Constitute Cheating
Do you have more tips for online dating?
Share it with us in the comments!