I admit upfront that my Asian-Style Mussels are far from a traditional Asian recipe but it is my interpretation and, if I say so myself, it is absolutely delicious!
Clarissa is the expert in the family when it comes to Asian food but every now and then I like to give it a go.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 2 Kg (4 Lb; 8 Oz) Mussels In The Shell cleaned and de-bearded
- 2 tbsp Peanut Oil
- 1 Lemongrass Stem finely chopped
- 1 Long Green Fresh Chilli thinly sliced
- 1 Long Red Fresh Chilli thinly sliced
- 2 Golden Shallots thinly sliced
- 4 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
- 1 3 Cm (1 ¼ Inch) Piece Ginger julienned
- 1 Handful Of Coriander (cilantro) washed, leaves picked and roots chopped
- 1 400g Tin (14 Oz) Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 270ml (9 ½ Fl Oz) Tin Coconut Milk
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
- Rinse the mussels and drain well.
- Place a large heavy-based saucepan or stockpot over medium–high heat and drizzle in the peanut oil. Add the lemongrass, chilli, shallot, garlic, ginger and coriander root and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the mussels and give the mixture a good stir. Pour in the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and stir again, then cover and bring to boil. Cook for 5 minutes, shaking the pan a few times until all the mussels are open. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.