Cook in Bulk and Save Some Cash!
Bulk Spaghetti Bolognaise is a great way to save time and money in the kitchen as it is a family favourite and so versatile. A lot of you are probably already familiar with Stay at Home Mum’s Once a Month Cookbook– but for those that aren’t convinced – I thought I’d do this little post on how to use the same principle on a much smaller scale.
So today I bought some ingredients, which came to a grand total of $16.40.
How far can $16.40 get you? I got six meals that would feed a family of four ($2.73 to feed four people). Of course you would need to add a packet of pasta and perhaps some cheese and garlic bread if you so desire, but it is still a very, very cheap meal. The best part is you freeze it for the nights you don’t feel like cooking! Here’s how I make it in bulk.
(Note: 4 people in my household is 2 adults and 2 children under 5)
(Bulk Buying is a great way to save lots of money – but if you don’t think you can do it – start small and work your way up! Following our recipe for Bulk Spaghetti Bolognaise is a good way to start and you can use the leftovers to create some other fancy foods, like meat pies – just add gravy, or empanades – add a tin of corn and wrap in a triangle pastry…it really is super versatile!)
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Chop the brown onion and garlic into fine pieces. Throw in the slowcooker.
- Leave for approximately 30 minutes on high for them to heat through and soften.
- Add the diced carrot and and celery. Add the meat and cook a further hour stirring well every so often.
- Pour in the three cans of tomatoes (2 crushed, 1 soup) and simmer on low for up to six hours.
- Divide into Ziploc bags once cooled to room temperature, ready for freezing.