Delicious Chia Choc Orange Slice is one that will have you thinking Jaffa lollies with a healthier twist.
This slice is a treat for kid’s lunch boxes or afternoon snacks too. The next time you are at the shops, grab a chocolate cake mix, chia seeds and oranges and you’re almost there! The rest of the ingredients are most likely already in your fridge and pantry.
If you haven’t already discovered chia seeds then you are in for a treat! Chia seeds are the latest food to join the superfood category (move over quinoa). They are packed with antioxidants, nutrients, fibre, protein and omega 3 and so easy to add to any baked good without your kids even knowing they are eating something healthy.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Mix cake mix, chia seeds and melted butter together with a wooden spoon. It will resemble a 'dough like' mix
- Press chocolate base into a small slice tin or square cake tin lined with a baking/parchment paper. Smooth out until even (I used another piece of parchment paper on top to press out for a smooth result and for clean hands).
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze orange juice into bowl, and zest orange rind into bowl also.
- Add all remaining ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour on top of cooked chocolate base and cook for 15 minutes.
- Dust with icing sugar and extra orange rind zest.
- Cut into squares and serve - or store in refrigerator for school lunches.