Chocolate Pound Cake is an old-fashioned frugal recipe. It’s luscious, buttery and incredibly delicious!
I also love how this recipe is versatile. You can dust it with sugar, top with frosting or ganache. You can also eat it plain with fruits – whatever floats your boat. Best of all – it freezes beautifully!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a lamington tin with baking paper and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan mix together the brown sugar, butter, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa and 250ml of water.
- Heat gently on low heat until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
- Increase the heat and cook whilst stirring for a further five minutes.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for a further two minutes.
- Take off the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Add the flour and eggs and use electric beaters to beat the mixture until smooth and pale.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool and when cold, ice with chocolate frosting.