Today we’re going to teach you how cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker.
If you’re really busy during the day but want a roast chicken for dinner, then here’s how to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker! The chicken cooks/steams in its own juices and is tender, moist and delicious.
We bought an extra-large chicken for this recipe on how to cook a whole chicken in the slow cooker. Cook the whole chook now, and have enough for leftovers tomorrow night.
Why I Love Cooking Whole Chickens in the Slow Cooker
I really love shredded chicken – and quite often I can buy whole chickens a lot cheaper than buying chicken meat. So when whole chickens are on sale, I buy them up and cook them, then shred them (I put the bones in the freezer to make chicken stock later) – and use them on pizza’s and on school lunches and in salads.
Can you Leave a Slow Cooker On When You Aren’t Home?
Well you really shouldn’t. But if you are going to do this – place the slow cooker on a firm chopping board. Plus you don’t want to have the chicken cooking ALL DAY – it is really easy to overcook chicken in the slow cooker and when over cooked it is stringy and tastes like the slow cooker. You know when people say that everything in the slow cooker tastes the same? That’s because the food is overcooked!
Recipe Hints and Tips:
- Never place a frozen chicken in the slow cooker. There is a chance you could get food poisoning by doing this.
- If you have any beautiful fresh herbs in the garden, throw a handful over the chicken.
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Chicken any size that cat fit your slowcooker
- Make sure your chicken is thoroughly defrosted.
- Use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and smother the top of the chicken with the butter, garlic and any herbs you might want to try.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 5 - 7 hours on LOW.
- Any longer and your chicken may fall apart.
- If you want your chicken skin to brown. Cook the chicken as per the above instructions. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Pop the crockery insert into the oven (making sure the top of the crockery is not too close to the element) and brown for 10 minutes. (Check with your manufacturer that the crockery is suitable for the oven.)
- chicken recipes
- chicken recipes