How could I have missed the humble Family Meat Pie!
The good Australian staple!
Meat pies are my eldest son’s favourite food in the whole world, in fact he would only eat meat pies if he could – and he loves this version!
This is a truly frugal food that will easily feed your entire family with leftovers for just a couple of dollars!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pot until hot.
- Add the onion, celery, crushed garlic and carrots and cook for 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add the mince and brown well. Turn down the heat.
- Sprinkle the gravy mix evenly over the mince and stir well to combine.
- Slowly add the red wine, stirring the mixture well.
- If a bit more liquid is needed, add some water or beef stock until you get a lovely thick mix.
- Stir in the herbs. Pour into a pie dish and spread evenly.
- Layer the sheet of puff pastry over the mince mixture and cut to size.
- Poke a small hole in the centre to allow steam to escape.
- Brush over the pastry with the milk to get a lovely colour.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden in colour.
- Serve with mashed potato or some chips and tomato sauce!