It was soooo hard to find a recipe for a Frugal Chocolate Mud Cake without chocolate – why, you say? Because buying chocolate just to grate and put into a cake makes that cake very expensive!!! I try very hard to…
It was soooo hard to find a recipe for a Frugal Chocolate Mud Cake without chocolate – why, you say?
Because buying chocolate just to grate and put into a cake makes that cake very expensive!!!
I try very hard to keep the recipes awesomely simple and cheap. Our Frugal Chocolate Mud Cake is certainly not as heavy as a mud cake – but heavier than a standard chocolate cake!
It’s really really delicious and satisfying, too, and just as heavy, chocolatey and delicious as a traditional mud cake. Plus it freezes really really well.
To freeze this cake, allow it to cool down, then double wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze for up to two months! Don’t freeze the cake iced though (icing doesn’t really survive the freezing process) – but here are some great icings to try on your Frugal Chocolate Mud Cake!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 60 grams Cocoa
- 180 grams Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda
- 125 grams Butter
- 300 grams Castor Sugar
- 2 Eggs
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
- Mix the cocoa with one cup of cold tap water, stir and set aside.
- In another bowl sift the flour with the bicarb - and set this aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well in between.
- Add bit by bit the cocoa mixture and the flour mixture alternatively until all mixed well.
- Pour in a greased round cake tin and bake for 1 hour at 180 degrees.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin. Serve with chocolate icing.