How to Make Homemade Crumpets
This Homemade Crumpet recipe was hand written inside Mum’s recipe book – so I’m not sure whose it is! But they are so good with slathers of butter and golden syrup! Once you make homemade crumpets – you will never go back to the shop bought variety…. yes they take a bit longer to make – but they are so worth it.
Use egg rings well greases with canola oil to make perfect little circles of yeasty love! Oh that sounded gross. Sorry…
Make sure you allow that full hour for the yeast to rise…. so this recipe would probably be a good Sunday morning special breakfast in bed type recipe to make…
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- 5 grams Yeast
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Water warm
- In a bowl or jug, mix the yeast with a few tablespoons of the warm water, stir until the yeast is dissolved and leave for about five minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the salt and sift in the flour. Whisk about 2/3 of the remaining water into the flour, then add the yeast mixture.
- Cover and leave in a warm place until the mixture doubles (about an hour). The mixture should be quite thick but pour quite easily. Add more water if you think it is required.
- Heat a frypan pan gently and spray with canola oil.
- Using egg rings - grease each lightly with canola spray - put the rings into the pan and pour in enough batter to fill each ring about 1/2 full.
- Cook on a low heat for about 4 minutes or until small holes appear and the tops of the crumpets appears to be 'pasty'.
- Take off the rings and flip the crumpet to brown on the top (about one minute).
- Butter lightly and serve - lovely with Golden Syrup or Jam. Makes about 6 crumpets.