How to Make Homemade Crumpets
This Homemade Crumpet recipe was hand written inside Mum’s recipe book – so I’m not sure whose it is! But they are so good with slathers of butter and golden syrup!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
Nutritional information does not include the following ingredients:
- 5 grams Yeast
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Water warm
- In a bowl or jug, mix the yeast with a few tablespoons of the warm water, stir until the yeast is dissolved and leave for about five minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add the salt and sift in the flour. Whisk about 2/3 of the remaining water into the flour, then add the yeast mixture.
- Cover and leave in a warm place until the mixture doubles (about an hour). The mixture should be quite thick but pour quite easily. Add more water if you think it is required.
- Heat a frypan pan gently and spray with canola oil.
- Using egg rings - grease each lightly with canola spray - put the rings into the pan and pour in enough batter to fill each ring about 1/2 full.
- Cook on a low heat for about 4 minutes or until small holes appear and the tops of the crumpets appears to be 'pasty'.
- Take off the rings and flip the crumpet to brown on the top (about one minute).
- Butter lightly and serve - lovely with Golden Syrup or Jam. Makes about 6 crumpets.