Lemon Risotto is a very fresh and filling meal that is frugal too. It will easily feed a family of four for under $10 – with leftovers! This is a great recipe for weeks when the budget is tight, and it’s sure to fill any belly!
For the price estimates here we’ve used a large national supermarket, but it’s possible (and highly encouraged) for you to look around at your local farmers market, local butcher or at discount grocers. You’re likely to find many of these ingredients even cheaper there!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- 5 cups Vegetable Stock $2.50
- 1 tsp Olive Oil $0.03
- 1 White Onion chopped very finely - $0.80
- 2 tsp Garlic minced - $0.05
- 2 cups Arborio Rice $1.20
- 2/3 cups White Wine $0.90
- 1 Lemon Zest $0.70
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice from zested lemon
- 5 tbsp Parmesan Cheese $1.30
- 1/4 Butter or margarine -$0.15
Looking to lose Weight?
Join the new Weight Watchers Reimagined.GET 50% OFF THE FIRST 3 MONTHS ON SELECT PLANS.
Check It Out >
- Bring the vegetable stock to boil in a saucepan or simmer gently in a glass jug in the microwave.
- In a heavy based saucepan or pot, melt the butter until bubbling then add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown.
- Add the rice and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until the grains become transparent.
- Add the white wine and cook, stirring all the time until all the wine is absorbed.
- Start adding the hot stock 1/2 cup at a time and stirring constantly until all liquid is absorbed before adding more (you may have to keep heating the stock in the microwave if you are heating it in a jug). This should take about 30 minutes. Rice should be tender and creamy.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add the grated rind from the lemon.
- Stir in the lemon juice and cheese and serve with additional cheese if desired.
- Frugal Living
- Frugal Living