Macaroni Cheese was my favourite food growing up, I had it every birthday. Not much has changed, except perhaps it is more of a side dish now than a main course! This is a particularly amazing recipe because you can make the Macaroni Cheese for under $8 BUCKS!
For the price estimates here we’ve used a large national supermarket, but it’s possible (and highly encouraged) for you to look around at your local farmers market, local butcher or at discount grocers. You’re likely to find many of these ingredients even cheaper there!
Please Note Nutritional information is provided as a guide only and may not be accurate.
- Cook macaroni in salted water until tender. Drain, rinse and keep warm.
- In a medium saucepan heat the milk, onion quarters and garlic on low until almost boiling. Remove from heat and stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain and get rid of onions. Cool the mixture.
- In a separate saucepan melt the butter and garlic until bubbling, add the flour and cook on low for one minute without letting the mixture brown stirring all the time.
- Gradually add the cooled milk stirring until smooth. Simmer for a few minutes until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese and stir until melted through. Season well.
- Add the cheese mixture to the macaroni and mix well.
- Place mixture in a oven proof dish, top with breadcrumbs and parmeson cheese and bake in the oven until golden and bubbling (approx 20 minutes).